National Green Tribunal (NGT) Justice Prakash Shrivastava has been appointed to the position of Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) after the former Chairperson Justice A.K Goel retired in July.
Justice Prakash Shrivastava- Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT)
Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT)
He was appointed as the Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal where former Chairperson Justice A.K Goel retired in July, Justice Sheo Kumar Singh was appointed as the Acting Chairperson. Formerly appointed on Tax, Civil and Constitutional sides in the Supreme Court of India at New Delhi, later appointed as a Judge of the High Court of Madhya Pradesh on January 18, 2008.
Power of National Green Tribunal
- Impose fines and penalties on individuals, organizations, or entities found responsible for environmental violations.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
- Review and approve environmental impact assessments for major development projects.
- Promote and facilitate public awareness and education on environmental issues.
- Collaborate with government agencies, NGOs, and other stakeholders to develop and implement environmental protection initiatives.
- Conduct regular audits and inspections of industries and activities with potential environmental impacts.
- Recommend policy changes and legislative amendments to strengthen environmental protection measures.
- Provide a platform for public participation and consultation in environmental decision-making processes.
- Publish reports and findings on the state of the environment and recommended actions for improvement.
- Advise and make recommendations to the government on matters related to environmental conservation and sustainability.
Justice Prakash Shrivastava
Who was appointed as Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT)?
Justice Prakash Shrivastava was appointed as Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).