Press and Registration of Periodicals (PRP) Bill, 2023 In the significant steps of press and periodicals, the Union Government had released, presented by Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur in the Rajya Sabha, replacing the existing Press and Registration of Books (PRB) Act, 1867. This programme aims to modernise and streamline the registration process for periodicals in India, bringing transparency and ease of doing business for small and medium publishers. In the press realase, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said “Those involved in terrorist activities or unlawful activities against the state will not be granted permission to start a paper or periodical,”
Press and Registration of Periodicals (PRP) Bill, 2023
Press and Registration of Periodicals (PRP) Bill, 2023-provision
This Press and Registration of Periodicals (PRP) Bill, 2023, aims at
- Regulate printing press and newspapers in India,
- Preserve copies of books and newspapers printed in India, and
- Provide for registration of books and newspapers.
- ‘Book’ for the purposes of the Act, includes even a pamphlet and every sheet of music, map, chart etc.
- Interestingly, electronic media is outside the purview of this Act (Sanjay Pinto v. A. Kamaraj, 2011).
- Under the Act, only the district magistrate (DM) could cancel the declaration of a periodical, while the Press Registrar General (PRG) did not have suo motu powers to cancel or suspend the Certificate of Registration granted by it.
- It made improper declaration of information a punishable offence with a prison term of up to six months.
Press and Registration of Periodicals (PRP) Bill, 2023- Lok Sabha discussion
When was the Press and Registration Books Act initiated?
The Press and Registration Books Act was passed by the Legislature and it came on the statute book as the Press and Registration of Books Act, of 1867 (25 of 1867).
Who is the registration authority for periodicals in India?
The Press and Books Registration Act 1867 provides registration authority for periodicals in India