UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award The Mumbai station named Byculla Railway Station had been awarded with UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award on Monday i.e. 24th July, which was declared in November 2022.to highlight the station’s significant contribution to cultural heritage conservation. UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage award for Byculla Station was presented to Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnav on Monday. The railway station in Mumbai is known for its restoration efforts, lead by ‘I Love Mumbai,’ an NGO, with heritage conservation architect Abha Lamba and Minal Bajaj of Bajaj Trust.
UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award
UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award in the news
Byculla Railway Station is designated as a Grade-I heritage structure, underscoring its architectural and historical significance, and emphasizing the need for preservation, considered to be one of the oldest railway stations that is still in operation, with a history dating back 169 years. It is the 1st space where the first locomotive was in Mumbai in 1852.
Objective of UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award
- Identification and promotion of exemplary practices in the heritage conversation with increased participation from under-represented areas.
2. Improved exchange of research and professional practice related to heritage.
3. Capacity building in heritage conservation using the exemplars and standards of the UNESCO Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation
4. Improved engagement of youth in protecting and promoting cultural heritage.
5. Improved knowledge management of Asian Heritage, including regional best practices from the UNESCO Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation, through video, online and print formats
Mumbai’s Byculla Railway Station
Who was awarded UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage award?
Mumbai’s Byculla Railway Station was awarded UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage award
Which museum was conferred with the Unesco Award for cultural heritage conservation?
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya wins UNESCO Award for cultural heritage conservation.